Fuji Planet
Welcome to Fuji Planet, a forum that offers a unique experience.

We have everything from flash games to forum games, item reviews to great graphics. Before registering, we recommend that you take a tour of this site. Explore our arcade complete with level editors, our gallery of user-created pics and tutorials, and the rest of our growing forum.

When you register, you will be able to access the chatbox, where users can instantly chat with everyone else.

We hope to see you soon.

~Fuji Planet Staff
Fuji Planet
Welcome to Fuji Planet, a forum that offers a unique experience.

We have everything from flash games to forum games, item reviews to great graphics. Before registering, we recommend that you take a tour of this site. Explore our arcade complete with level editors, our gallery of user-created pics and tutorials, and the rest of our growing forum.

When you register, you will be able to access the chatbox, where users can instantly chat with everyone else.

We hope to see you soon.

~Fuji Planet Staff
Fuji Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Planet of Fun

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Share | 

The basics of making sigs.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kiga10di
Fuji Hotline
Fuji Hotline
kiga10di

Fuji Bucks™ : 1046

The basics of making sigs. _
PostSubject: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 am

Seems a lot of you like my sigs, so I figure I'd make a separate thread than comment everyone's stuff individually.

I'm noticing a trend with a lot of stuff here. A lot of you tend to take some random picture that looks cool, or throw some random brushes around in different colors, then throw a border on it and call it a sig.

Now, this is art, so there are no defined "rules", but a sig tends to follow a certain scheme that makes things work. There's many different ways of doing achieving this ultimate goal, but all "good" sigs contain most, if not all of the following things.

The most important thing of all is that you need an overall "flow" within the sig. It's a bit hard to define what this is, exactly, but it's generally saying that everything works together. Everything should be going in a general direction. It doesn't simply have to be one direction, but just make sure it's not going all over the place.

Next is color. I see a lot of random colors and arrays of rainbows. It's nice and all for now, but you want to stick to colors that work well together. It depends what kind of feel you're going for, but this page can help you a lot. Decide if you want a warm or a cool feel, and work from there, using different shades of the same color, and analogous colors to build around the feel you want, then complimentary colors to build a contrast around it. tl;dr choose a color scheme and stick to it.

Choosing and building a focus is also incredibly important. You have an area to work with, but you only want to be focusing on one thing. Often the render you choose, or a certain part of the render. Everything else in that area is used to support and make the focus stand out. There's many different ways to create contrast to build up the focus. In general, three main things make up contrast. Sharpness vs blurriness, light vs dark, and vibrant vs dull. A contrast is created by abruptly bringing two opposites to each other. If you have something really light right next to something really dark, the light will contrast the dark. Seems like common sense, right? Use it to your advantage. When you want one thing to stand out, make it different than everything else that's going on.

There's a lot more to it, but these are the main things to go by for any type of art.

You can go deeper, and start dealing with things like size and placement, emotion and overall feel, lighting and depth, borders vs no borders, render choice, text choice, and so much more, but stick with these basics because they apply to everything.

Just, when dealing with text, the same rules apply. You want your text to be more of an effect than just having it there for the hell of it. I don't even include it on a lot of my sigs.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie
White Knight
White Knight
Bonnie

Fuji Bucks™ : 1251

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 5:15 am

+1 rep.

Someone sticky this.

Last edited by Bonnie on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speeling fails)
Back to top Go down
Chip
Friendly Fiend
Friendly Fiend
Chip

Fuji Bucks™ : 3661

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow, you definitely deserve to be a promoted to a GFXer. The basics of making sigs. 471845
Back to top Go down
Lebby™
Fuji Imp
Fuji Imp

Staff Message : I LOVE SHADY
Fuji Bucks™ : 5485

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Thanks, dude, I'ma start working on some art right now : D
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com?Tennisman7890
Syfte
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Syfte

Fuji Bucks™ : 2665

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Nice advice.

Stickied
Back to top Go down
http://www.fujiplanet.net
Chainy
Apolcalypse Survivor
Apolcalypse Survivor
Chainy

Staff Message : :3 :3 :3 :3 <3
Fuji Bucks™ : 6386

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Nice guide. Some pics would be nice though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Chainyyy wrote:

Agree, this advice are cool, but some screenshots will make it easier for newbies to understand
Back to top Go down
Chainy
Apolcalypse Survivor
Apolcalypse Survivor
Chainy

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

TheListener wrote:
Chainyyy wrote:

Agree, this advice are cool, but some screenshots will make it easier for newbies to understand

Yup, exactly my point.
It also makes it easier to read.
Back to top Go down
kiga10di
Fuji Hotline
Fuji Hotline
kiga10di

Fuji Bucks™ : 1046

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Would also take a lot of time that I'm limited on.

I'll see what I can do though.
Back to top Go down
Jshushij
Elevated Bloon
Elevated Bloon
Jshushij

Fuji Bucks™ : 29487

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Great, great guide.
Back to top Go down
Chainy
Apolcalypse Survivor
Apolcalypse Survivor
Chainy

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 pm

kiga10di wrote:
Would also take a lot of time that I'm limited on.

I'll see what I can do though.

Hm, I'd take some pics, but my Mac version of Photoshop is Dutch and I can't take pics on my Windows version of my iMac, cause my iMac keyboard has no Print Screen button.
Back to top Go down
Jshushij
Elevated Bloon
Elevated Bloon
Jshushij

Fuji Bucks™ : 29487

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:27 pm

You dont need a print screen button to take a screen shot on a mac dude.

I learned this by using my mac.

Press Command-Shift-4 on your keyboard, drag the arrow that comes up to the desired area that you want the pic of, and then click. The pic will show up on your desktop!
Back to top Go down
Jim
White Knight
White Knight
Jim

Fuji Bucks™ : 4494

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Love the guide +1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The basics of making sigs.   The basics of making sigs. Empty

Back to top Go down

The basics of making sigs.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fuji Planet :: Services :: Graphics Area :: Your creations-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com