Fuji Planet
Welcome to Fuji Planet, a forum that offers a unique experience.

We have everything from flash games to forum games, item reviews to great graphics. Before registering, we recommend that you take a tour of this site. Explore our arcade complete with level editors, our gallery of user-created pics and tutorials, and the rest of our growing forum.

When you register, you will be able to access the chatbox, where users can instantly chat with everyone else.

We hope to see you soon.

~Fuji Planet Staff
Fuji Planet
Welcome to Fuji Planet, a forum that offers a unique experience.

We have everything from flash games to forum games, item reviews to great graphics. Before registering, we recommend that you take a tour of this site. Explore our arcade complete with level editors, our gallery of user-created pics and tutorials, and the rest of our growing forum.

When you register, you will be able to access the chatbox, where users can instantly chat with everyone else.

We hope to see you soon.

~Fuji Planet Staff
Fuji Planet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Planet of Fun

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics

Share | 

Hurricane Irene

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Einsteinean
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Einsteinean

Fuji Bucks™ : 7326

Hurricane Irene _
PostSubject: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene EmptySun Sep 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Hurricane Irene 220px-Hurricane_Irene_Aug_24_2011_1810Z

HURRICANE IRENE

The picture above, courtesy of Wikipedia, is a satellite image of Hurricane Irene as a Category 3 hurricane (winds around 130 mph sustained, gusting to 160 mph) over the southern Bahamas on August 24.

Niels wants my personal experience with the storm, but first I'll give you some stats to chew on:

Hurricane Irene began as a tropical wave on August 15 off the coast of Africa. On August 20th, Tropical Storm Irene officially formed. On August 22, as Irene was moving over the Caribbean Islands, it was upgraded to a hurricane, the first such storm of the 2011 Atlantic Hurricane Season. By August 23, as Irene was moving over Hispaniola, it intensified into a Category 3 hurricane, also known as a major hurricane. Irene moved closer to the coast of North Carolina, and on August 27, as a Category 1 hurricane, made landfall at the Outer Banks at 7:30AM with sustained winds of 85 mph. About 10 hours later, Irene reemerged over the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. The storm made several landfalls as a hurricane, then a tropical storm.

Personally, my experience was as follows.

Throughout the daytime hours of August 27th it was cloudy, breezy and showery at times as the outer wind bands of Irene started their effects near my area. The winds really started to pick up around nightfall, and I recorded at 32-mph gust with my anemometer around 10PM on the 27th (Saturday). We retained power longer than most people, but lost it between 1 and 2AM on Sunday morning, August 28th. BGE, the local utility company, reported around 800,000 power outages at the peak.

We lost power overall for approximately 24 hours, getting it back around 2AM on Sunday night. The original first day of school was supposed to be Monday the 29th, but it was canceled due to excessive outages. School opened on Tuesday for all but a couple schools.

We had no major damage, a couple pine tree limbs down here and there, but nothing major around my house. A major tree came down 3 streets over, but the major problem there was simply it was a pain in the ass to clean up. Luckily it did not fall on either house that was well within range (if it had fallen just the right way, it would have hit 3 houses and killed at least 2 people. But it fell in the complete opposite direction.

The highest wind gust around here was 49mph, and the highest sustained was 35mph, just on the cusp of tropical storm force, which is 39mph.

Other than that, this storm really wasn't all that bad. I got an extra day of summer out of and gained the ability to say I've survived an earthquake and hurricane in the same week. (Not kidding).

If you want more info, go to the wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Irene_(2011)#Meteorological_history
Back to top Go down
Einsteinean
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Einsteinean

Hurricane Irene _
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 3:22 pm

I don't know what those posts were intended to be about, but they are gone now regardless.
Back to top Go down
Yes Im Am
Elevated Bloon
Elevated Bloon
Yes Im Am

Staff Message : This guy's the bee's knees, man.
Fuji Bucks™ : 19434

Hurricane Irene _
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm

-1 to whoever deleted them...
Back to top Go down
http://www.fujiplanet.net/privmsg?mode=post&u=7
Chainy
Apolcalypse Survivor
Apolcalypse Survivor
Chainy

Staff Message : :3 :3 :3 :3 <3
Fuji Bucks™ : 6386

Hurricane Irene _
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 7:26 pm

I think Ein's still a reviewer?
Back to top Go down
Einsteinean
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Einsteinean

Hurricane Irene _
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:35 am

Yeah. HMU with whatever you want reviewed, I miss doing them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hurricane Irene _
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene Empty

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Irene

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fuji Planet :: Services :: Reviews Section-
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com